A wireless keyboard adapter is an essential device that is used to connect a keyboard or mouse to the USB port of the computer.
As such, any other wired device apart from the keyboard can become wireless and still usable without the need of connecting it to the USB port of the desktop or laptop.
With the introduction of Bluetooth keyboards, the use of these adaptors is increasingly becoming inevitable.
Alternatively, a wireless receiver can come in handy when connecting a Bluetooth keyboard to a PC that has a USB port. In the absence of the port, a self-contained wireless keyboard adapter is the only option you have.
How to Connect a Wireless Keyboard Adapter
For starters, ensure that the keyboard you are using has a Bluetooth function.
Also, the wireless keyboard adapter you are using should be able to support a 2.4G RF keyboard.
Here are steps to follow to connect your adapter:
- The first step is to ensure that the keyboard you are using is powered on. You can charge it or insert the batteries in case it has battery slot. Keyboards that have charger ports can be charged then powered on for connection.
- Plug in your wireless adapter into the available USB port. If you are not using the default setting of the keyboard, Bluetooth will be the better option.
- Driver installation is the next step. The moment you plug in the adapter, some keyboards install the drivers automatically while others will require the operator to download them. However, this only happens for keyboards that do not have Bluetooth.
- If you are using Bluetooth keyboard, turn it to the paring mode as well as the adapter. Majority of the adapters usually signal a blinking LED light indicating that another Bluetooth device can be paired. Once the adapter is connected with the keyboard, the light will turn solid. However, it is important to know that this indication varies from one brand/model of adapter to the other.
- The next step is to select the particular Bluetooth device and pair it or connect.
After successfully connecting your wireless adapter, it is important to test the keyboard. Try opening applications such as Word and press the keyboard keys to prove if the adapter connection was successful.
How Much Does Wireless Keyboard Adapter Costs
The prices of these adapters vary depending on the brand and model. Cheaper ones such the RDXHYF wireless adapter cost as little as $8.99. There are expensive models such as the ZEXMTE Bluetooth keyboard adapter that cost $24. You can select the best adapter with multifunctional features at a retail price of less than $24. This is simply affordable.
DIY Method To Convert Mechanical Keyboard To Wireless
Interestingly, it is possible to convert a mechanical keyboard and make it wireless. There any different reasons why someone might want this conversion. From enjoying an environment that is free from cables to having enough working space, the reasons are simply many. Below are the steps you can follow for a successful DIY process:
- Firstly, the right knowledge and tools are needed. These include the following:
- 2 Micro controllers
- 2 radio transmitters
- A well-lit table working surface
- Unplug the keyboard from the PC to avoid the electric shock.
- Remove the keyboard and place in a well-lit table.
- The next step is to connect a USB micro controller to the port of the keyboard. Ensure that the micro controller is compatible with your keyboard’s USB. However, the keyboard must have a spare port for this to happen. In case there is no spare port, unscrew the keyboard and take out the cord from inside. Place all the screws at a particular point so that it becomes easier to put the keyboard back together.
- Plug in the next micro controller. This is the device that will make it possible for the keyboard to read your computer. It will connect automatically to the other microcontroller in the computer’s USB port.
- Take the two radio transmitters and connect them to the PC and the keyboard. Through these transmitters, a signal will be send from the keyboard direct to the computer with any stroke on the keyboard registered. However, ensure that you purchase pre-programmed transmitters to a specific frequency.
- With the transmitters and microcontrollers fixed in place and tuned to the right frequency, put on the power source and you will be ready to operate the keyboard.
- Finally, power on the computer and start typing on the keyboard.
Best 2 Wireless Keyboard Adapters
1. ZEXMTE Bluetooth wireless keyboard adaptor
This is a unique Bluetooth adaptor that uses a 4.0 chipset technology thus minimizing power consumption.
Equipped with data rate support system, this adaptor gives faster transmission rate of up to 3 Mbps.
You can place your keyboard at a distance of 10M and the transmission will still be effective.
Other notable features
You can stream music with excellent quality while using your keyboard. The adaptor incorporates a Low latency technology for faster connectivity and a stable signal. It is simply the best for Audio transmissions.
2. EDUP LOVE wireless keyboard adaptor
This wireless keyboard adaptor is not only used on keyboards but also laptops, printers and desktops.
It features a strong Bluetooth function that allows you to use other devices such as TVs, car stereos and headsets.
You can use your keyboard alongside other devices at the same time.
If your keyboard has the 2.4Ghz band, the adapter is supportive because of a more enhanced anti-interface ability.
Advantages of using wireless keyboards are many. However, all this is made possible by the wireless adapter that provides a connection between the keyboard and the PC or any other device you might be using.